Tuesday, June 26, 2012

New Zealand: An Introduction

Hello from New Zealand!  I flew from Seattle to Vancouver on Sunday evening, from Vancouver to Auckland, and arrived in Queenstown on Tuesday morning.  The total travel time was 24 hours, and I probably slept for 10 of those.  Praise the Lord!

Upon arriving to Queenstown, I hopped on the "Connectabus" to Wanaka, about an hour's drive away.  Th whole drive was going through one big mountain range.  It was beautiful.  We arrived at Wanaka around 11am, a picturesque little town of 6,000 located in the middle of the mountains on a beautiful mountain lake.  Literally everywhere I look, there is a mountain.  The population of Wanaka jumps to 25,000 in the winter because Olympic skiiers and snowboarders come here to train.  There are ski passes in every direction.

My mom picked me up at the Visitor's Centre, and we spent the day walking around town.  When we got back to the house we're staying at, I noticed that my room had mountain and water views from the window.

In the evening, I attended a young adult's Bible Study through the church my mom goes to.  I met a lot of wonderful people my age.  We had a great time of fellowship.  I'm so thankful for the body of Christ around the world.

I'm off for a run now.  Wanaka is full of running trails that stretch through mountains and valleys.

"For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name."
Amos 4:13 



Wanaka, NZ


2 comments:

  1. McCleary!!! Love the post. How are you doing these days? I hung out with Matt around this time last year fishing. What's big joe up to? Miss you guys!

    ~Quang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Quang! I'm great - just currently living an almost unreal dream in New Zealand. A week more of this, and I'll be back in Seattle. Joe is still living out in Ohio, married, working in an accounting firm, being awesome like usual. Matt just finished grad school and is still doing part-time engineering. Hope all is well with you and the fam!

    ReplyDelete