Friday, June 1, 2012

Spotlight: Horatio Spafford

Horatio Spafford: The 19th Century Job

I first heard of Horatio Spafford as a sophomore in high school when I did an oral presentation in Music class at my public high school on famous hymns and their origins.  Most people are familiar with Spafford through the hymn It Is Well With My Soul.  Some may be familiar with the story behind the enduring lyrics. 

I was blown away by tragedy after tragedy that led to the penmanship of this hymn.

Spafford grew up living the 1860's American dream - rich, famous, lawyer, wife and 5 children, BFFs with Dwight Moody, real estate investor and the list goes on.  And then he became the modern day Job.

In 1870, Spafford's only son died of scarlet fever.
In 1871, the Chicago Fire destroyed most of his real estate investments and fortune.
In 1873, his family decided to take a vacation to England to visit Dwight L. Moody.  Due to previous committments, he sent his wife and 4 daughters ahead of him.  The boat sank and all of his daughters drowned.  His wife sent a telegram upon reaching shore: "Saved Alone."

In 1873, Spafford penned the hymn It Is Well With My Soul as he sailed to England over the Atlantic where his daughters were buried just days before.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pain shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


Praise the Lord that, as Christians, our souls are well, even if we are not.

"The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the Name of the Lord." ~Job 1:21

2 comments:

  1. I recently heard this story from Pastor Keith and was very moved. Even reading it again initially brings sorrow, and then as you read the hymn a peace comes over one’s mind as you remember the truth of Christ's sacrifice. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It Is Well With My Soul is my favorite hymn. Thanks for sharing this!

    On a side note, did you ever hear the Adventures in Odyssey episode where they tell the story of Horatio Spafford? The episode is called "It Is Well".

    ReplyDelete